Multiple Chartstring Requests
A chartstring is established to provide clear, direct and efficient means for allocating, charging, and reconciling funds on a sponsored research project.
The default is a single chartstring for all awards unless dictated by the organizational architecture of the grant.
Multiple chartstrings are established without formal request at award set-up when:
- The award is of considerable complexity and individual accounts must be established for cores, projects, pilot or developmental projects.
- The sponsor’s terms and conditions mandate complete segregation of aspects of the work and funding to support that work.
- Supplementary funding is received and such funds are restricted for a designated purpose and cannot be commingled with other funds.
Multiple chartstring requests from the department at award set-up or subsequent to award set-up are subject to review and central office determination of necessity.
Requests should not be submitted and will not be approved when:
- The grant mechanism is not complex.
- PI and/or co-investigators wish to have their own accounts.
- Faculty from different departments than the one where the award is housed are on the project.
- The purpose is to track expenditures by using the financial system as a replacement for account management and reconciliation by department.