Sponsored Research Administration Transformation Program
Northwestern is enhancing the technology resources that support its research enterprise. The program’s goals are twofold: to implement a new enterprise sponsored research administration management system and to deliver a revamped analytics environment required to support business functions. These aims include replacing InfoEd with Huron Grants and Agreements, a change intended to strengthen processes, maximize efficiency, and support continued growth of Northwestern research. This effort is a partnership between Northwestern Sponsored Research and Northwestern Information Technology.
Key advantages of the Huron system and supporting analytics environment that will help reduce administrative burden, facilitate transparency, and provide a generally smoother end-user experience include:
- Online proposal budget development and transparent, streamlined award setup workflow
- Centralized project email correspondence stored in a searchable format
- End-to-end support for agreement negotiation, including clause library, change tracking, and two-way integration with DocuSign for automating signature collection
- Redesigned Data Mart provides a more flexible, user-friendly reporting environment for both Huron and legacy InfoEd
- Dashboards tailored by role (PI, department, central office, executive leadership) with at-a-glance features, including workflow queue balancing, deadline calendars, and the ability to embed and display current reporting from Tableau
Vendor-hosted application with no customization, enabling faster implementation of new features and reduced upgrade time
This program is a transformational endeavor that requires extensive collaboration across many Northwestern units. The program’s governance structure includes a variety of subject matter experts and executive-level representatives.